The Difference between Therapy & Happiness Science
In traditional therapy you talk about your problems, your therapist listens empathetically and helps you understand things about yourself it may be hard to see from the inside out. Traditional therapy is helpful to talk things through, gain a bigger understanding, get things off your chest and help moving on in life. Sometimes the therapist can be depressed.
Happiness science is a totally different beast. Instead of exploring the outer world and how you are relating to it, you learn how to master your inner world so the outer world no longer has an impact on your life.
A lot of times people have already undergone years of therapy when they decide to pursue positive psychology.
In positive psychology, happiness science has grown in effectiveness and empirical evidence in the last 5 years. We literally can say a 3:1 ratio in positive to negative emotions will in fact counter a downward spiral and even change the plasticity in your brain and furthermore treat symptoms of depression, anxiety, bi- polar, and even PTSD or schizophrenia.
Happiness science can be powerful when used in the right way.
Learning happiness as a subject, as a skill, as a way of life, is a totally new paradigm in developing optimal mental health.
- Imagine mastering control of your emotional experience instead of letting the outside world control your mental stability.
- Imagine being able to develop a positive mood in any given moment independent of what is going on around you.
- Imagine being resilient to the point of laughing at your happiness challenges.
- Imagine deep inner contentment is your constant instead of your illusion.
- Imagine states of bliss and joy are numerous throughout the day instead of a distant fairytale.
Your happiness is the most important thing in your life. You can master it.
Without it, you are looking for it; and with it, you are on to the next thing.
It could be time to broaden your understanding of options to feel better and look at the advances in Positive Psychology to develop your optimal well-being.
Independent of previous diagnosis, you can still learn happiness science just like any other subject in your life.
The difference between now and yesterday is now we can teach happiness as precise as mathematics.
It is an exciting time to shift our perspectives on how to become happier from the outer life to the inner life.
Dr. Aymee Coget